Grounding is the ancient healing practice of connecting your body to the earth. This is one of the most powerful healing techniques you can apply in your daily life. Today many call the practice Earthing. This is where you electrically ground your physical body to the physical earth, whether by walking bare foot on the grass, having a hand (or hugging) on a tree, or touching any living thing on the earth’s crust (rocks, dirt, water) you can basically ground anywhere and anytime. Our bodies are conductive so once any part our body touches the earth it electrically connects and grounds the body, and you immediately start to feel positive effects.
Grounding, is now a technique used for coping with anxiety, PTSD and stress because of it’s quick calming effect. Research has shown that practicing grounding has decreased the levels of inflammation and pain in the body which helps with arthritis, rheumatoid arthritis, fibromyalgia and other chronic illnesses. Grounding also improves circulation and sleep.
Some other benefits and importance of grounding are:
- Health and clarity of mind
- Opens the third eye so you can be more perceptive
- Strengthens and nourishes your central nervous system
- Makes you feel more centered, alert, aware & present
- You experience a better sense of your physical space
- Helps you stay healthier on a physical level by receiving more energy from the earth
- Grounding helps with manifesting your goals
- Acts as an access valve to release blocks, stress and unwanted energy
- Assists you in speaking from your center and with certainty
- People who include grounding in their athletic activities say they’re more aware of how to perform and the body responds better.
- Artists and writers use energy grounding meditations to experience greater output and sustained creativity. Working with energy and intuition trains the creative side of your brain to work in partnership with the linear side.
- Grounding is easy to put into your meditation practice as an affirmation, visualization, feeling or emotion. Once set into your system, it becomes a natural part of who you are and how you feel.
- Once energy grounding is established, it brings the spirit into the body on a firm and permanent basis. Being centered and grounded in your body puts you in a constant state of emotional healing and awareness.
Below is something a little different. A grounding visualization technique that I do regularly with my meditations. Basically, you would visualize an extension from the base of your spine, down into the earth. This extension anchors into the core of the earth so that you make a direct, straight, electrical current of energy from your body into the earth. Energy follows thought. If you have a clear thought, clear visualization, the energy will follow.
Visualize the core of the earth as a bright sun—a bright light source deep within the earth. Allow the force of gravity to take your grounding cord directly into the sun deep within the core of the earth. Once you reach this place, create a reference for this place so you can come back here often. Turn your grounding cord into a big giant honey spoon, stirring the earth energy and getting a visceral sense for this substantial grounding connection. This can actually feel sensuous and pleasurable.
Earth energies are a healing, nurturing energy. Visualize your grounding cord as a big giant drinking straw and begin sucking up the earth energy from the sun in the earth’s core to fill your entire body with this fabulous, nurturing light and healing energy. Once you feel your body is full of that bright healing light you can let it go out of your solar plexus (stomach), heart chakra (heart) and crown chakra (head) releasing it out around you or you can just send it back down to the earth.
If you are not confident of your grounding connection or the nurturing, healing energies accessed from the earth, it’s because you don’t trust the experience. We’ve all experienced many traumas on the earth plane and it’s sometimes difficult to trust that earth will support us. When we ground with the intention of anchoring our light into the source of all Creation, this is the most powerful connection there is with the earth. So if we can strengthen ourselves and stretch our minds to accept this concept, this changes our lives and empowers us forever.